Kathy Griffin is touring again, nine months after her controversial photo shoot using a Trump prop.
In May 2017, a controversial photo of Griffin showed her holding a mask of President Trump’s head covered in fake blood. It was not well received.
The image outraged Trump and his family, prompted widespread condemnation, led to show cancellations and cost her a CNN gig.
As the backlash to the photo taken by Tyler Shields grew in the spring of last year, Griffin apologized and then tearfully addressed what she said were detailed death threats she had been receiving online.
Months later, she retracted the apology. Griffin had trouble booking domestic shows amid the fallout and instead performed internationally.
“I’m dipping my toes into touring again, even though the Trumps and nobody wants me to work again,” Griffin said Friday on HBO’s “Real Time with Bill Maher,” her first major TV appearance since the photo. “I just booked today. I’m going to do a show at Carnegie Hall in New York, and I’m also going to go right to Trump’s back yard and do a show at the Kennedy Center.”
Griffin, who said it was “a small, victorious announcement,” didn’t divulge the dates for her coming shows. She later tweeted that tickets for the Carnegie Hall show will be available this week.